Most man-made backyard ponds are designed and built with the intention of keeping fish and plants, not ducks. Even their filtration systems are not designed to keep up with ducks in the long run (or should I say short run) of a few weeks. So what do we do when a pair of local ducks decides to make our pond their home? I wholeheartedly say to enjoy it for a short time, show them to the neighborhood kids, take lots of photos for the memories and then discourage the ducks from staying.
Cons to having Ducks
- Ducks tend to enjoy aquatic plants as not only a food source, but also for bored entertainment and can very quickly destroy the water garden that we have invested so much time and money on. Lilies will quickly get shredded , submerged plants uprooted, marginal plants trampled.
- Smaller fish and invertebrates can become sources of protein for the backyard duck. What a snack!
- Ducks spend a lot of time out of the water too and will impact the surrounding area and landscape. From trampling on and tearing up your favorite garden flower to pooping on your deck and patio, ducks get into everything.
- Ducklings--One or two ducks can quickly become 12 ducks!
- Water Quality--where there are wildlife, waste contribution is too! Is your filtration system up to par?
Excess waste nutrients not only fertilize algae growth but it also leads to spiked levels in your pond, such as ammonia--which is absolutely toxic for fish. Our water here at Dreamscapes went crystal clear to more of a muddy color within a week and was next to impossible to keep up with without dumping extra water treatments in on a daily basis.
So What Now?
For more information on your backyard watergarden's maintenance, please contact us directly!
Dreamscapes carries a full line of pond supplies from water treatments and fish medications to pond pumps, heaters, fountains, plants and fish! If you think you need it, we have it!
Retail Hours: April 5th-May 27th: Wednesday-Friday: 10am-5pm; Sat: 9am-1pm
Mon & Tues: Hours By Appointment
May 28th-Nov 25th: Thursday-Friday: 10am-5pm; Sat 9am-12pm
Mon, Tues, Weds: Hours By Appointment
Nov 26th-April 2018: All Hours By Appointment
2155 State Route 343, Lebanon Pa | 717-272-6555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Dreamscapes Watergardens services the city of Lebanon, Lancaster, Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill, Cleona, Cornwall, Fredericksburg, Indiantown Gap, Jonestown, Kleinfeltersville, Mount Gretna, Myerstown, Newmanstown Palmyra, Quentin, Reistville, Richland, Schaefferstown of Pennsylvania,